With over a million views on Youtube, videos on the 6-second garage door break-in cause more than a little concern. The videos show how thieves can break in through a commonly used automatic garage door in 6 short seconds, using nothing more than a wire hanger.
Garage entrance is not just common; it is one of the criminal’s favorite ways to gain entrance into a home. Why? Someone entering a garage does not throw up the same red flags as someone breaking glass or climbing through a window. Not only do most people overlook a stranger near a garage, once the door is open, the thief quickly slips in, closes the door, and breaks into the home (or prepares to steal from the garage itself) while under complete cover.
Here are some important ways you can secure your garage:
- Replace your garage opening system to a modern “rolling code system” that hinders duplication.
- Keep the garage doors in good repair.
- Use a plastic zip tie to secure the emergency latch and prevent hanger entry.
- Cover windows so thieves cannot see garage contents or if you have an entry to the inside of the home.
- Make sure windows have locks.
- Reinforce side door locks with metal reinforcements.
- Install motion detection lighting.
- Install an alarm or video surveillance system.
- Do not leave automatic door openers in your car.
- Keep the door from the garage into the house locked.
Thieves count on residents neglecting to secure the garage door. Take time today to learn more about home security systems and how to prevent break-ins by calling Brinton Security today.