Tag Archive for: fire safety
Fire safety is important to any type of business. Preventing fire in the workplace can prevent injury as well as costly damages to your business and property. There are precautionary steps that can be taken to minimize the chances of a fire in your workplace, such as installing a fire alarm. Continue reading to learn more about workplace fire prevention tips.
A clean workplace is a safe workplace. If your business has hazards such as a frayed wire or a spark, clutter and debris can act as kindling that can cause a small fire to quickly spread to a large, detrimental fire. Removing excess paper by emptying recycling bins and trash regularly can reduce such risks.
A cluttered workspace can also create a fire hazard by blocking hallways or exits. Businesses should keep all walkways free of clutter, and all exits should remain unblocked.
In the event of a fire, having a clear evacuation plan is critical to the safety of employees.
Keep Smokers Away
While the days of smoking in offices are mostly long gone, it should be reiterated to not allow smoking in the workplace. Designate an outdoor smoking area that is a safe and far away from building entrances. Smoking areas should have designated receptacles for cigarette butts that safely dispose of any potential fire threat.
Have a Fire Alarm System
Just as an office would invest in a security alarm system, businesses can protect themselves from fires with a fire alarm system. If a fire were to happen outside of business hours, an alarm system would alert the authorities of a fire.
Additionally, many systems come with fire suppression features such as sprinklers. A fire alarm system should be checked regularly to ensure proper function.
About Brinton Security
Founded in 2001, Brinton Security Services has been dedicated to providing protection for both residential and commercial settings. Although specializing in home security, we also install/service/monitor fire, gate, camera, and personal emergency response systems as well as whole house audio, home theater, home automation, and phone systems. We are proud to serve Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Our aim is to “Protect What Matters!”
The holidays are a busy time and most people are scrambling to do too much, too fast. Unfortunately, all of that busy work and rushing from store-to-store trying to finish up last minute shopping means many homeowners may be neglecting basic safety at home. Whether you are cooking holiday meals or just putting up your Christmas lights, it is important to keep fire safety in mind.
Tips for Keeping Your Home Safe
From candles being lit to baking your Christmas ham, the holidays involve the risk of fire in your home. Keep your home safe by taking the time to prepare and implement a few additional safety tips this holiday season:
- Kitchen Safety – If you are cooking (whether it is on the stove or in the oven), stay in the kitchen as much as possible. If for some reason you need to step away, return to the kitchen frequently to check on boiling pots, simmering sauces and anything baking in the oven.
- Candle Safety – Keep flaming candles away from children and never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle. LED candles are a good choice. They flicker and look just like real candles, but without the flame. Do not use candles near flammable materials, such as curtains or a Christmas tree.
- Keep a Fire Extinguisher Handy – Every home should have a fire extinguisher. These are relatively inexpensive and can be stored in the laundry area or kitchen to stop any minor house fires from becoming devastating ones.
- Test Smoke Alarms – Smoke alarms should be tested just before the holidays and every month after that. Replace batteries in all of your carbon monoxide detectors as well.
- Be Safe with Christmas Lights – If you are setting up Christmas lights outside, keep plugs away from standing water, snow or any other type of moisture. Do not use extension cords that are frayed. Indoors, only use grounded outlets and keep your Christmas tree lights on a timer so that they do not remain on overnight.
About Brinton Security
To learn more about how you can protect your home from fires this holiday or to install a fire alarm with your home alarm system, contact your local home security specialists. Brinton Security offers free consultations and can help you install a system that protects your home during the busy holiday season and right through the year.
Give us a call today!
Founded in 2001, Brinton Security Services has been dedicated to providing protection for both residential and commercial settings serving Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Our aim is to "Protect What Matters!"
Brinton Security Services
28972 Cumberland Road
Shell Knob, MO 65747 US
Toll Free: (800) 747-9399
Local: (417) 858-0561
Arkansas License: CMPY.0002326
Oklahoma License: 158868
City of Wichita, KS License: 30143